Press Release 8/30/2019 – Arts Festival September 6-7
ARTscape | ARTwalk | CHALKscape
The City of Alamosa, along with partners ARTwalk and the Alamosa Live Music Association, is hosting an Arts Festival on Friday, September 6 and Saturday, September 7 in downtown Alamosa. The festival begins Friday with ARTscape and ARTwalk, and continues Saturday with ARTwalk, CHALKscape, and WAKE THE BEAR and Wet Paintbrush live painting.
FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 6: ARTscape and ARTwalk
- City crews will be busy installing 15 new ARTscape sculptures-on-loan in the downtown area followed by an artist’s reception at the Grove Theatre at 5:30 p.m. The public is invited to attend. Please be aware that the cones you see blocking parking spaces that day are necessary for art installations.
- ARTwalk entries from local artists will be available for perusal and purchase at participating stores Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Look for ARTwalk sidewalk flags and signs downtown to locate vendors. For more information about participating artists, a location map, and prize drawing information, look for ARTwalk brochures available at participating stores.
SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 7: ARTwalk, CHALKscape and Live Outdoor Painting
- ARTwalk continues at participating stores downtown from 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Location 1) The parking area between Friday Health Plans and The Rialto on Main St. will be open from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. with pottery demonstration and sales, SLV STEAM Shop Maker Space equipment demonstrations, live music from Roma Ransom (noon-4 p.m.), and more. Live ARTwalk prize drawings at 4 p.m.
- Location 2) San Juan Avenue will be closed between Main and 6th Streets all day Saturday for the CHALKscape chalking competition, live painting events, the Salida Circus, and more.
- The CHALKscape competition is open to the public and includes cash prizes in two categories. Please visit cityofalamosa.org/public-art and click on the CHALKscape application link to get started now. You can also pick up an application and sign up at City Hall, or you can sign up the day of the event starting at 9 a.m. Mayor Coleman will announce winners and award cash prizes at 5 p.m. after the competition ends.
The Arts Festival is sponsored in part by Dianne Parrotte, First Southwest Bank, Konnie and Damon Martin, Alamosa County Local Marketing District, Ski-Hi 6 Theatre, and Tim’s Paint and Body Shop.
For more information, please contact Kelley Baily at 719-587-2024.
The City of Alamosa is a multicultural community of 9,000+ centrally located in the San Luis Valley of Southern Colorado. The City was incorporated in 1878 and is the gateway to the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve where more than 300,000 visitors enjoy Colorado’s natural beauty each year. For more information, visit us at www.cityofalamosa.org.